Friday, March 28, 2014

Sweet Potatoe Cupcakes are healthy right?

The past few weeks have been an absolute whirlwind! We have really started nailing down some wedding plans and my work schedule has been absolutely nuts. I know that once summer gets here, it will only get busier and it will start reaching 100 degrees here in Arizona very soon.
Today it's sunny and 65 but not for long...

I made a hasty decision a week or so ago and ordered Shaun T.'s Hip Hop Abs system off of an infomercial for like 20.00. After getting it, I understand why it was on sale. Not saying it doesn't work, but it is the cheesiest I have ever seen Shaun T. I'm so used to his hardcore Insanity workouts and sweating my a** off, literally or feeling like I just can't do another burpee to save my life. This program definitely works your abs but you have to do it right. I'm determined to complete the entire month's worth of workouts and see what progress I've made so hopefully I'll be able to recommend it to others if you want a fun (or funny) dance routine type of ab workout.



I also decided to be a part of my Plexus up line's Body Reset Challenge and it hasn't been going so great. As most of you know from all of my posts - I despise vegetables. I wish I could snack on raw carrots and broccoli but they are gross unless smothered in some sort of creamy ranch dressing. The first two challenges are water and salads. For the water challenge you drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day for 10 days. No exceptions - you have to finish it each day! That I can do. I only have to fill my water bottle up 4 times to get in all my water for the day - yesterday I missed about 12 ounces but close enough right?! The salad challenge is that you eat 21 salads. You can do this however you like but if you do 3 salads a day, you finish the challenge in 7 days. Well it's day 5 of the challenge and I've had 3 of my 21 - I'm awful at this stuff! I love Cesar salad but it's got white creamy dressing which is a no-no on this challenge. I got a grilled chicken salad from subway with balsamic vinaigrette the other day and it was okay - but nothing like it would have been covered in Cesar or ranch dressing. Ha! I'm going to attempt to power through it but gee whiz is it ever hard!


With all this talk about healthy eating and exercise- I have to give you one my favorite cupcake recipes that I use year round and not just during the holidays. I found it on Pinterest so I will give the site credit - but it is absolutely delicious! :)

Happy cooking! :)
xoxo - Haley


Sweet Potato Cupcakes:

For the cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups lightly packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups sweet potato puree*
6 tbsp. maple syrup
½ tsp. vanilla extract
 
For the frosting:
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
 

Directions

  • Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; stir together with a fork and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Mix in the sweet potatoes, maple syrup and vanilla extract, beating just until combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.
  • Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, for about 18 minutes. Let cool in the pan briefly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
  • To make the frosting, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a bowl set over a pan of a few inches of simmering water. (Note: I use my clean, dry mixer bowl right off the bat to avoid dirtying two bowls.) Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it reaches 160° F with an instant-read thermometer. Transfer the mixture to an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk starting at low speed and gradually increasing to medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form. Mix in the vanilla until combined.
  • Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip (I used Wilton #21.) Pipe swirls of frosting on top of each cupcake. Brown the frosting with a kitchen torch**. Sprinkle lightly with additional brown sugar, if desired.
www.annies-eats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment